What are Conferences?
Conferences is a tool built into Webcourses@UCF primarily used for virtual lectures, virtual office hours, and student groups. It can also be used to demonstrate technologies or troubleshoot technology issues online.
Please Note: A recorded conference video remains available for 14 days after the conference ends for students who were unable to participate live. At the end of the availability period conference videos are deleted and no longer available.
Depending on what your synchronous needs are, Skype for Business (Lync) might be a alternative solution.
Conferences makes it easy to conduct synchronous (real-time) lectures for all of the students in your course. Conferences allows you to broadcast real-time audio, video, demo applications on your desktop, share presentation slides, or demo any online resources. Currently, Webcourses@UCF integrates with BigBlueButton.
When would I use Conferences?
Use Conferences to:
- Connect with your students for online office hours or special study sessions design to help them prepare for a test.
- Connect with your colleagues for professional development webinars.
- Practice presenting online. Students can set up practice presentations in their student Groups.
- Invite special guests to your classroom by adding them as a student or observer to your course.
- Broadcast a live event or lecture to the students that can’t be onsite.
Conference Tool Video
To Create a Conference
Click the Conferences link.
Click the + Conference button.
Add Conference Details:
- Type a name for the Conference in the name field.
- Check if you want to allow the Conference to be recorded.
- Indicate if the Conference will be a long-running conference by selecting the This is a long-running conference and should not be automatically closed checkbox.
- Set the time limit for the Conference by typing in the duration field.
- Type a description about the Conference in the description field.
- Choose which members to invite by selecting or de-selecting the Invite All Course Members checkbox.
- Select the Create Conference button.
Conferences are listed in chronological order with the new Conferences appearing on the top and the older Conferences appearing on the bottom. Recorded conferences become available a short time after recording is ended depending on the length of the recorded session.